Friday, June 19, 2015

48HBC:: Time for Some Rest!

I'm over halfway done with Deathless, despite constantly having to re-read chapters. And now I've broken out in hives. It's apparently that kind of day. So I figure now is a good time to take a break and get some rest. I'm going to have to take some Benadryl, which will more than likely knock me out anyway.

Lately, I've been listening to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobooks as I fall asleep. Obviously I won't count that towards my reading time (which is now 11 hours!) but I'm currently on The Restaurant at the End of the Universe which has made for lovely sleepy time.

I'm really loving Deathless. It's complex and rich and the prose is simply gorgeous without pretension or being overly ornate. It's also full of fun quotable quotables like, "Honestly is such a nasty habit, dear. Like biting your nails."

I almost wish I'd waited to read this until I was doing a bit better wrt my health. Maybe I'll do a proper re-read when I'm a touch more "with it."

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather. Hopefully you'll feel sharper after a benadryl-induced nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I am feeling a bit better, even though I didn't get as much sleep as I'd like to.

      Delete
  2. Have fun with the challenge! My kids really liked the parallel Ender books, which are more accessible than the adult-Ender books.

    And you can count some of the bedtime listening -- audio books qualify! I've got one in the car so I can read while running errands tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm unlikely to count it because I have no idea when I fall asleep. :) There's a reason I listen to audiobooks I know pretty well in order to fall asleep... then I don't get sad if I lose my place!

      I think, yeah, the parallel books are more accessible. Not just in writing, but also in theme. Which I think is why I'm a bit disappointed with them, re-reading. What I liked so much about Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide were the rather complex themes and ideas.

      Delete