Friday, July 24, 2015

Review:: Fables: Animal Farm, by Bill Willingham


Title: Fables: Animal Farm
Author: Bill Willingham
Series: Fables, #2
Format: Paperback
Rating:  ★★☆☆☆

Previously:

I definitely read Fables at some point in the past because I totally remembered this plot. It wasn't as good as the first book, to be entirely honest, but the art is better in some ways. And I do love Goldilocks in it. Spoilers later on.

I can't tell exactly what made me like this book slightly less than the other one. Maybe it felt like it was reaching a bit much? The not-veiled-at-all literary references might have been more amusing if they weren't all from books I was taught in middle school. The plot was also pretty easy to see through, which was disappointing.

What I did like, though, was the portrayal of Snow White and Rose Red's relationship as not entirely antagonistic. I also really like the fact that later in the volume, Rose Red ups and tells Snow White why she has such a hard time with their relationship. I also really love it when it's acknowledged that you can love someone and not like them very much.

Another thing I enjoyed was just seeing badass Goldilocks. Now, she was a bit over-the-top and definitely the source of the literary references (this is specifically mentioned), but if there's anything I love about Fables, it's seeing how the characters who never age in our heads age and bitter over time.

But to be honest, I find it hard to sympathize with the winning side in this plot. Maybe that's why I hate it so much. So, here's the plot:

Fables who can't pass for human are required to stay on a farm forever. They may not leave. They may not go. They may not collect $200. Naturally, a revolution forms, and when Snow White shows up on a surprise visit, she is in a terrabad place and doesn't even realize it. In the end, she manages to keep all the Fables on the farm from rushing off to kill the humanoid Fables. Yay!

Except, nothing is really done to address the fact that the non-human Fables are, in fact, being kept as prisoners. There's no attempt to maybe find a way to give them a bit more freedom. Instead... they just beef up security.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment