Saturday, June 6, 2015

Review:: Heartless, by Gail Carriger


Title: Heartless
Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Parasol Protectorate, #4
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Previously:
Soulless

I read Heartless in an airport, which was perfect because it certainly kept me from being bored whilst waiting for my flight. Unfortunately, Gail Carriger seems to have picked the mystery plot train back up, which meant I got to spend most of the book going "yup, red herring, red herring."

Alexia is super pregnant. Like, eight months pregnant. Normally at this point, she'd not even be let outside, but she's Alexia, so she's gonna do what she wants. Which usually involves thumping people with a parasol.

A ghost has informed them that there's a threat on the queen. This ghost isn't doing too well, though, so it takes a while for anything to really be uncovered. It's also decided that Lord Akeldama will adopt their child so that the vampires will stop trying to kill Alexia. There's a lot of vampire politics in this book, which unfortunately, I find not nearly as intriguing as they're often claimed to be. A lot more boring and predictable.

Which is fine, but honestly sets the tone for the rest of the book. There are a few witty quips in there that cracked a smile, and I'll definitely read Timeless, but I think Parasol Protectorate is starting to live out its lifespan. In many ways, this book felt as big and bloated as Alexia herself.

Of course, I still enjoyed it. It was perfect for what I wanted: something to read while traveling. If I wanted to read something deep and intriguing, I probably wouldn't have gotten to, as I'd be poked by airline staff every two seconds.

I did like the further characterization of Ivy that was revealed in this book. I knew it was coming (it had been alluded to on several occasions and was kind of obvious) but I was glad to see it finally come out. There are also some great moments in general with the side characters. Ups and downs, goods and bads. There are spots where it definitely deserves two stars and spots where it deserves four.

Let's just settle for 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment