Thursday, September 3, 2015

Review:: Annihilation, by Jeff VanderMeer


Title: Annihilation
Author: Jeff VanderMeer
Series: Southern Reach, #1
Format: Trade Paperback
Rating: ★★★★☆

It's really cool when I'm not too sick to read. (Which is pretty sick.) It's also really cool when I get to read something that's bizarre and wonderful. So reading Annihilation in the middle of a bout of illness and then finding it vastly enjoyable was exactly what I needed. Or, another way to put it, vastly what the fuck even just I don't know but wow, okay, where's the next one?

I fucking love an unreliable narrator, and that's exactly what you get with Annihilation. That, and some pretty amazing world building (not that it seems to entirely make sense, but that's the point? and oh god, does it?) and the character building is pretty fab as well. Granted, I started getting a touch annoyed by the Biologist's inability to look her own problems in the face.

But let's be honest. Who can? The stuff that's annoying is real, the stuff that's surreal is uncomfortable, and the stuff that should be uncomfortable is just not even noticeable with everything going on.

I doubt it's for everyone. But at under 200 pages, worth a try, right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment