Monday, September 7, 2015

Review:: The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett


Title: The Light Fantastic
Author: Terry Pratchett
Series: Discworld, #2
Format: Trade Paperback
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Previously:

I definitely felt like I got more of the same from The Light Fantastic, although it certainly reminded me more of Douglas Adams this time around. There wasn't really a lot of substantial plot, but it didn't matter. The point was the journey (which has to come to an end) and the humor itself.

I guess one thing that's nice about this one is that it really gives me questions as to where things are going forward with the Rincewind side of things. This was a pretty direct continuation of The Colour of Magic, with the same characters and setup. But it's been made clear that the next Rincewind book won't do so.

Of course, the next book isn't a Rincewind book anyway, so I'll have a lot of time to think about this. And about how I decided to read these in publication order. Life. Choices. That sort of thing.

While it does remind me a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, up to and including the rather unimportant plot, somehow it feels like it's missing something. Maybe the humor is just all too punny for the most part? Or feels repetitive? I'm unsure. Maybe I'll know more going forward. Or maybe I'm just too much of a Douglas Adams fan to look at this logically. I did definitely feel like I was reading fantasy Douglas Adams... just a bit short.

Like I said, I definitely enjoyed it. And I'll definitely be reading the next one. I just feel like there should be more I could remark on, on a book like this.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same about Pratchett -- people say such big things about Discworld, but there doesn't seem to be much there in the older books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On top of that, Discworld is pretty much his only work? Unsure on that, but it makes me hmm.

      Delete