Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Review:: Iron Council, by China Miéville


Title: Iron Council
Author: China Miéville
Series: New Crobuzon, #3
Format: Hardcover
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Previously:
Perdido Street Station
The Scar

Perdido Street Station was definitely my favorite. While there was a lot I liked about Iron Council, I had trouble staying interested in the chaotic plot. Which doesn't make sense. I love it when Miéville has wild, crazy chaotic plots. Maybe it's just this series.


The way I'd describe Iron Council is that it's the tale of a Judas named Judah. Oh, that might be a slight spoiler. But considering Miéville named him Judah, I was waiting for the moment when he delivered a kiss of death.

The problem may also have been reading Iron Council while I was pretty sick and in a lot of pain. It tends to make books (especially more complex books) a lot more difficult and less enjoyable. I might try it (and The Scar) again at some point.

All in all, it's a gorgeous book. The writing is just beautiful, the plot is nice and complex, even if the ending is a bit underwhelming, and you're dragged along at a decent pace.

I wish I had more to say, but I guess my brain was just a bit too fuzzy reading it. I should have more to say, considering my political leanings and the leanings of the book. Definitely need to mark it for a re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment